Seaborg is a Danish startup seeking to change the current perception about nuclear energy. Their aim is to build a new type of nuclear reactor, environmentally friendly, that will help renewables in moving towards a future of low-carbon emissions. The challenge here was to build a website that would transmit the controversial message whilst at the same time staying loyal to the technical explanation required for the more advanced scientific audience.
Brand Analysis and Visual Identity development
Audience Analysis and Competitors Research
Worked alongside Seaborg’s graphic designer and a content producer
The values of Seaborg as a company were not reflected in their current website. It was very text heavy and was lacking important information, such as what is the mission of Seaborg as an organisation, who are their partners and timelines, etc.
The first step was to go through a series of exercises to rake the team’s brains. We had workshops around the questions of who Seaborg is as an organisation, what are their goals and how do they intend to get there, what is making them different to other new nuclear startups and and what are their values.
We then made an audit of their current website, involving the main stakeholders - namely the founders. We then proceeded to look at the competition. Apart from one exception, most of the competitors in the field had quite heavy, out of date websites. Even with such a low benchmark, and despite the fact that the website wasn’t going to be used for any type of conversion, it was important to aim high in the redesign.
On the subject of who would visit their website - and for whom they intended it to be, we had an audience workshop where we identified the following types: investors, potential future partners, employees and media.
Once we had an idea of what Seaborg’s mission was, and who the website was intended for, we had a couple of ideation sessions. The founders, being scientists, had a hard time putting pens on paper to produce drawings instead of equations.
Based on the previous steps I put together a rough wireframe of potential sections.
I built the first iteration of the website based on the wireframe. I worked with two of Seaborg’s current employees - one of their scientists, for content creation, and their graphic designer for graphic assets. Together, we came up with a new visual identity for the site. We used WIX because we had no budget for development.
We had a couple of iterations followed by feedback from users from our intended audiences as well as current employees.